Action for Healthy Kids has provided a summary of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) press release on final rules on wellness policies, smart snacks and more. WSPTA will share more information from Action for Healthy Kids once their Wellness Policy Tool is updated to incorporate the new USDA rules.
These new rules help to make healthy choices the easy choice for schools and students by:
- aligning snack foods sold in schools with the nutrition standards for school breakfast and lunch;
- ensuring robust implementation of updated nutrition standards for school meals, snacks, and beverages;
- providing consistent messaging and marketing about healthy food and beverage choices in schools;
- fostering a collaborative approach to local school wellness policies to improve access to healthy food and physical activity;
- expanding access to school meals;
- maintaining school meal program integrity through accountability and standards; and
- strengthening efforts of parents, teachers, coaches, and school partners to help students reach their potential in a healthy school environment.
Access the July 21, 2016 USDA press release here, with links to the new rules.